- University of Southern California (J.D., Gouldie Scholarship Recipient, 2011)
- University of Maryland (B.S., Mechanical Eng., Honors Program, 2006)
- Sagewise, Inc. (VP of Special Projects)
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (Patent Examiner)
Dat Nguyen is an associate in the firm’s intellectual property practice and complex commercial litigation groups. His practice includes representing clients in federal and state courts, USPTO, and arbitrations involving a variety of matters ranging from intellectual property and commercial disputes.
He has extensive experience with a wide range of technologies including but not limited to: semiconductors, software, networking systems, telecommunications, blockchain, smart contracts, AI, virtual reality, augmented reality, audio, and video encoding standards, cellular and Wi-Fi standards, graphics processing, and physics processing.
Prior to joining LTL, Dat was VP of Special Projects at a smart contracts/blockchain startup called Sagewise. He is well regarded in the blockchain space and has been invited to speak at numerous conferences, before various governments, and law firms on blockchain and smart contracts. Prior to that, Dat served as an IP litigation associate at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP, and Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. Dat is also a former patent examiner at the USPTO where he specialized in video gaming technology.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for a major smartphone manufacturer in Southern District of California
- Successfully invalidated several asserted patents in reexamination before the USPTO for a major telecommunications client
- Provided patent counseling and managed patent portfolio for a major videogame publisher
- Counseled a major smartphone manufacturer on patent licensing strategy and pre-suit investigations regarding audio and video compression standards
Mr. Nguyen is admitted to practice in California.