James Lee Co-founded LTL as the first spin-off of Quinn Emanuel in 2003. He has handled complex litigation matters at both Quinn Emanuel and Morgan Lewis before co-founding the firm. James has extensive experience litigating complex matters including co-founder/corporate control disputes, intellectual property matters, software related litigation, fraud cases, commercial disputes, class actions, privacy and cybercrime matters, antitrust, and other complex claims.
He has obtained several seven figure awards in trials and arbitration matters and has favorably settled a number of other cases in which combined recoveries were well over $300 million.
James has taught trial advocacy at Stanford Law School. James is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Prevailed in a six-day jury trial regarding trademark infringement claims brought by Lush Cosmetics in which they sought $30 million in damages.
- Obtained $100 million settlement in breach of contract dispute on behalf of publicly traded Taiwanese energy company against U.S. NYSE company.
- Served as co-lead counsel to the founder of social media app Snapchat in lawsuit over ownership claims against co-founders and company. Case settled for $157 million.
- Obtained $1.7 million in federal trial in breach of contract action on behalf of VIZIO against contract manufacturer for manufacturing defects.
- Settled complex adulterated food product matter on behalf of Herbalife against various suppliers for confidential terms.
- Successfully defended client against $18 million breach of contract claim brought by subsidiaries of a $1.4 billion Japanese conglomerate, where plaintiffs walked away with NO net monetary damages.
- Defense verdict in an investment fraud and breach of fiduciary duty trial.
- Settled bad faith insurance claim for $27 million on behalf of plaintiffs.
- Represented Actuate Corporation (now part of OpenText) in various copyright infringement and licensing dispute matters across the country resulting in combined recoveries in the 8 figures.
- Obtained $3 million award in a joint venture/fraud dispute.
- Obtained $1.2 million settlement in Ponzi-scheme case against international bank.
- Obtained a $2.7 million victory before the Court of Appeal in connection with the 1998 landslide in Orange County.
- Obtained $1.6 million award in shareholder’s dispute.
- Obtained $1.4 million in a real estate transaction litigation matter.
- Represented LAUSD in a multi-million dollar breach of contract/commercial dispute.
- Obtained settlement valued at over $4.1 million in international arbitration against NASDAQ company involving breach of buyout agreement.
- Represented one of Korea’s largest electronic companies involving the theft of one of the largest trade secrets cases to hit the company. The former employee fled and avoided legal process after transmitting highly confidential strategic plans.
- Represented one of America’s largest and fastest growing companies against insurance company for bad faith denial of coverage in connection to a trademark lawsuit. After discovery and successful motions to compel, obtained critical documents demonstrating bad faith denial of benefits. Insurance company immediately settled for a confidential six figure sum in excess of actual loss.
- Represented NYSE traded software publisher’s copyrights and related intellectual property against infringers in a number of matters.
- Represented a government contractor in a $10 million breach of contract action in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
- Successfully opposed a TRO request to take over company on behalf of minority shareholder. Settled case on confidential terms immediately thereafter.
- Represented NASDAQ listed company in a $2.6 million breach of contract dispute involving long term lease agreement. Settled case on favorable terms after mediation.
- Represented large cable station in a copyright infringement action. Prepared successful summary adjudication motions and reduced scope of case from six potential infringements to only one.
- Obtained summary judgment in breach of contract action where plaintiff sought $5 million in damages. Settled remaining fraud claim with no payment of money.
Stanford Law School (J.D., 1997)
University of Southern California (B.S., cum laude, 1993)
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges, LLP
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Managing Multi-Jurisdictional Trademark Disputes, panel speaker, IPBA, Kuala Lumpur, April 16, 2016
- Leading Change: Two Smaller Firms’ Success Stories, Thomson Reuters (April 27, 2016)
- Global IP Litigation, panel speaker, IAKL, Washington D.C., September 30, 2016
- Business Development for Litigators: Best Practice and Innovative Techniques, October 27, 2016, Practical Law by Thomson Reuters
- BCLT Berkeley Law, Berkley Center Law & Technology, Impact of Artificial Intelligence & Technological Innovation on the Practice of Law, March 2, 2017
- Managing Litigation Using Creative Methods and Efficient Tools, IP Law Summit, Las Vegas, March 27, 2017
- Age of A.I.: How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming and Disrupting the Practice of Law, MCCA Global TEC Form (G-TEC), June 19, 2017
- Artificial Intelligence and the Law, panel speaker, IAKL, Seoul, Korea, September 2017
- Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Litigation, Law.com, Podcast, October 2, 2017