- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1997)
- University of California, Santa Cruz (B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, 1993)
- Habeas Corpus Resource Center
- Federal Defenders of San Diego
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges, LLP
Kevin Bringuel brings impressive trial and appellate experience to the firm. Kevin was formerly associated with Quinn Emanuel, where he worked in several litigation areas including intellectual property, employment, contractual disputes, and “white collar” criminal defense.
Following Quinn Emanuel, Kevin served for four years as a federal public defender, followed by nine years handling capital cases in habeas corpus proceedings, after which he joined LTL. As a result, Kevin is among the few attorneys who is a seasoned specialist in both trial and appellate advocacy.
Kevin serves as an adjunct professor at Berkeley Law, where he teaches legal research and writing in the LL.M. program.
- TRIALS: 20 trials to verdict. Achieved several prominent victories, including acquittals in cases with false confessions, and securing an appropriate sentence of 6 months/time served versus the 19 years that the government vigorously sought.
- APPEALS: 21 appeals, with 9 Ninth Circuit arguments. Achieved affirmances of LTL victories in both federal and state courts of appeal.
- Co-lead counsel in seven-day federal jury trial in trademark case, prevailing on the verdict and post-trial motions.
- Co-lead counsel in five-day federal bench trial in patent and breach-of-contract case, prevailing on all claims.
- Co-lead counsel in three-day contempt proceeding in state court, earning acquittal of LTL’s client on all charges.
- Achieved appellate reversals from the Ninth Circuit as well as the U.S. Supreme Court, as well as published victories regarding discovery from the California Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court. In one case, Kevin’s appellate brief persuaded the prosecutor to vacate the client’s conviction and settle for the defense’s pre-trial plea offer.
- Handled complex litigation in capital habeas proceedings, managing cases with thousands of witnesses and millions of pages of documents.