- Harvard Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1998)
- University of Michigan (B.S.E., Chemical Engineering, summa cum laude, 1988)
- Rader, Fishman & Grauer, PLLC
- Quinn Emmanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges LLP
Steven Hansen focuses his practice on patent litigation. He has extensive experience litigating patent cases and was previously a patent litigation partner at Quinn Emmanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges LLP. Prior to attending law school, Steve was a process engineer and process control engineer for Amoco Oil Company. He was selected to Thompson Reuter’s “Super Lawyers” list in 2013.
Steve has experience in a wide variety of technologies, including lubricant chemistries, polyalkylene glycols, alkylene oxide production processes, oil refining, exhaust after treatment, nucleic acid isolation and purification, molecular diagnostic testing, protein chemistry, biosensors, nanotechnology, transdermal drug delivery, rapid prototyping, immunoassays, bicycle components, vehicle lifts, polymers, pressure sensitive adhesives, medical devices, scanning electron microscopy, vehicle safety systems, remote controls, and business methods. He has also prepared and prosecuted numerous utility and design patent applications, requests for reexamination, and reissue applications.
- Currently representing VIZIO in numerous patent infringement matters in CA, DE, EDTX, and NDIL.
- Won Summary Judgment of Non-Infringement and Invalidity on Behalf of VIZIO in a patent case involving video deinterlacing technologies.
- Won Summary Judgment of Invalidity on Behalf of VIZIO in a patent case involving wireless communication systems.
- Successfully represented VIZIO in an ITC patent proceeding involving video and audio synchronization technologies in which the Complainant withdrew its complaint against VIZIO prior to hearing and all other defendants settled.
- Won Summary Judgment of Non-Infringement on Behalf of VIZIO in a patent case involving DVD scene selection menus.
- Elan Pharmaceuticals v. Alcon (NanoCrystal Drug Dispersions).
- Veltek v. STERIS (process of sterilizing alcohol compositions for use in operating rooms). Represented STERIS.
- 3D Systems v. Envisiontec (3D printing). Represented Envisiontec.
- Alex Shpisman v. Envisiontec (3D printing software copyright infringement). Represented Envisiontec.
- United Technologies Corporation v. Eaton Corporation (jet engine brush seals). Represented Eaton.
- The Patent Holding Company v. Delphi Automotive Systems (airbag covers). Represented Delphi.
- Takata v. Delphi Automotive Systems (airbag covers). Represented Delphi.
- David Scharf v. Applied Materials, Inc. (scanning electron microscopy). Represented Applied Materials.
- Universal Electronics, Inc. v. Universal Remote Control (remote controls). Represented Universal Remote Control.
- Mentor v. MDA (ultrasonically assisted liposuction). Represented Mentor.
- Patent Prosecution/Counseling Technologies:
- Breast Biopsy Devices
- Neurosurgical Devices
- Non-invasive Glucose Detection
- Bioweapon Detection
- Chalcogenide-based memory devices
- Physical Vapor Deposition
- Plastics formulation and processing
- Selective Growth and Detection of Microorganisms
- Rapid Prototyping
- Exhaust Aftertreatment
- Piston Ring Coatings
- Nanodiamond Lubricants
- Polyalkylene glycol compositions as lubricants
- Polyurethane chemistry
- Anticholesterol drugs
- Ethylene Oxide Processes
- Vehicle Noise and Vibration Baffles and Related Chemistries
- Transdermal Drug Delivery
- Protein Chemistry Nucleic Acid Isolation and Purification
- Spinal Implants
- Metal forming Bicycle Components (e.g., gear shifts, hydraulic brake systems, derailleurs)