- UCLA School of Law (L.L.M., 2009)
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D., 2007)
- Tufts University (B.A., 2003)
- Herbalife International of America, Inc.
- Severson & Werson, P.C.
- Los Angeles County Superior Court
Joe Tuffaha is a partner and chair of the firm’s commercial and class action litigation practice groups. In addition to his active litigation and trial practice, Joe frequently counsels clients in their general business dealings. Joe also has extensive global experience related to government enforcement matters, internal investigations, and regulatory compliance, and has appeared before major U.S. federal regulatory agencies.
Prior to joining LTL, Joe served as in-house legal counsel (Director) at Herbalife International of America, Inc., where he handled high-profile regulatory matters and class-action litigation. Prior to that, Joe was a litigation associate at LTL, and an associate at Severson & Werson, P.C., where he represented some of the nation’s largest and most influential financial institutions in all stages of litigation in state and federal court, including cases arising under TILA, RESPA, FDCPA, UCC, CLRA, and state unfair competition laws.
Joe also served as Judicial Law Clerk to three Los Angeles County Superior Court Judges: Hon. Carolyn Kuhl, Hon. Kenneth Freeman, and Hon. Elihu Berle. While serving as a Law Clerk, Joe handled numerous complex matters including commercial and employment class actions.
During law school, Joe served as a full-time judicial extern to the Honorable Kim McLane Wardlaw of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and participated in the California Department of Justice, Business & Tax Section’s Clinical Honor’s Program.
Joe is admitted to practice in California and New York.
- Prevailed in the California Court of Appeal, Second District, on behalf of clients that included one of the world’s largest golf management corporations, preeminent multinational investment banking firm, and county and city municipalities. Appellant alleged clients violated his First Amendment and due process rights, as well as anti-trust laws, by preventing him from teaching golf on a public golf course. After submitting appellate briefing and supplemental briefing, and after oral argument, the Court of Appeal affirmed the trial court judgment of dismissal in favor of clients.
- Prevailed on anti-SLAPP motion in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of major broadcasting company and three of its journalists related to award-winning investigative news report on bus safety in Southern California. The Court dismissed Plaintiff’s entire five cause of action complaint and awarded over $52,000 in attorney’s fees to client.
- Achieved complete defense award in arbitration after trying the case on behalf of global nutrition company where claimant was alleging complex regulatory and fraud claims.
- Successfully defended client, a Korean corporation, in jury trial where plaintiff, another Korean company, was seeking over one hundred million dollars in damages based on alleged global conspiracy.
- Successfully represented co-owner of one of Southern California’s most prominent billboard companies in dispute over control of the company.
- Successfully defended global retailer in putative wage and hour class action, where plaintiffs alleged that client’s warehouse employees throughout California were forced to wait through security lines after clocking out in violation of California labor laws. After removing the case and litigating in federal court (Central District of California), the plaintiffs agreed to dismiss the case in its entirety, with prejudice, prior to the class certification stage, for a waiver of costs.
- Tried federal jury trial in Northern District of California on behalf of high-net worth individual investor in case involving $30 million complex commercial financing transaction. Case successfully resolved for client.
- Defeated Summary Judgment on behalf of client in federal court on novel issue of law involving California’s anti-deficiency statute.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 energy holding company in litigation in San Diego County Superior Court pertaining to billing dispute involving hundreds of thousands of dollars. Settled case for walk-away.
- Tried two-week jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of one of the largest golf management companies in the world where the plaintiff was seeking seven-figures in damages. Achieved complete defense verdict.
- Successfully defended major food retailers in federal court in two class actions alleging false and misleading labels related to number-one selling kombucha beverage.
- Settled complex adulterated ingredient case on behalf of global nutrition company for confidential terms.
- Obtained dismissal of HIPAA action in federal court brought against major health care provider.
- Successfully defended Taiwanese company and obtained dismissal of lawsuit brought by Hong Kong based company alleging EPA violations and anti-competitive conduct.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar RICO complaint brought by multinational Taiwanese company alleging global conspiracy.
- Prosecuted action in Central District of California on behalf of multinational electronics retailer for alleged copyright infringement by defendants. Prevailed on partial summary judgment based on novel issue. Received national press.
- Advised global food brand in managing international IP portfolio and developing an enforcement strategy to prevent rampant trademark and trade dress infringement by competitors.
- Successfully defended Fortune-100 financial institution in action involving alleged embezzlement of hundreds of thousands of dollars by dishonest bookkeeper.
- Advised multi-national investment banking firm with respect to compliance with USA PATRIOT Act requirements relating to certain of the Firm’s business sectors.
- Obtained Summary Judgment on behalf of multi-billion dollar lender in unfair competition and wrongful foreclosure action where the plaintiffs were seeking millions of dollars in damages.
- Drafted appellate brief on behalf of State of California, in thirty-year-old Dormant Commerce Clause case, seeking to reverse multi-million dollar attorney’s fee award issued by trial court. The Court of Appeal ultimately reversed the trial court as to a large portion of the award.
- Successfully negotiated master licensing and publishing agreements on behalf of Grammy Award-winning artist.
Joe is an accomplished musician who has collaborated with Grammy Award-winning artists and has performed live on television and radio.